Monday, August 25, 2014

On Derek

For those of you who have not yet seen Derek... or have no idea what Derek is... It's a genuinely clever show about a brilliantly written character Derek... played and created by Ricky Gervais... be warned however it's not the sort of show for everyone.... there are some crude situations and humor scattered through out... 

I loves Derek though... He's this lovely sweet man who works in an "old folks" home.  He's good and he cares... Ricky Gervais (who is an atheist) even called the character "a bit Christ-like"  siting traits about Derek like "he forgives, he's tolerant, he's kind, brave, stands up for the underdog."

I find it very interesting that this is how a celebrity atheist sees Christ... When we His followers often don't.  Tolerant and stands up for the underdog?  My heart cries YES!  That is Jesus!  That is the guy I want to model my life after... but my head says where is He?  

 People who are the body of Jesus... Where are we?  Stop hiding behind our comfy lives and our excuses and come out and be brave.  

I'm talking to myself here as much as anyone...  I would say that I am quite tolerant...  Until I think back to the last time I got together with my girlfriends... and criticized some stranger's outfit at the grocery store.  As for standing up for the underdog... I'm often too caught up in measuring the risk... and the last time I actually talked to someone sitting on the sidewalk with his hat on the ground... it was so very awkward...I haven't attempted it again since.  

 People who are the body of Jesus... Where are we?  Stop hiding behind our comfy lives and our excuses and come out and be brave.  

An atheist sees who our Jesus is... shouldn't we?

No comments:

Post a Comment